National support for low carbon procurement
GPP 2020 partners and associates received support from national expert organisations for implementing low-carbon procurement.
The Inter-university research centre for technology, work and culture (IFZ) is the GPP 2020 National Support Partner in Austria. The main aim of the National Support Function Implementation Plan developed within GPP 2020 is to contribute to the deployment of the National GPP Action Plan which has been recently evaluated by IFZ and whose conclusions are strategic for the development of the GPP 2020 support actions. These include:
- GPP information sources, by re-structuring the website www.nachhaltigebeschaffung.at in order to embed a comprehensive explanation, at various levels of product information, the national GPP criteria as well as TCO tools for a variety of product groups,
- Research and promotion of GPP 2020 good practices collected from the network of stakeholders created during the NAP revision and presented on the website www.nachhaltigebeschaffung.at, using a common template,
- Evaluation of GPP practice, by adapting the carbon calculators developed within GPP 2020 in order to be used by Austrian stakeholders and the general public on the NAP website.
National Support Partner contact: Angelika Tisch.
The United Nations Development Programme in Croatia is the GPP 2020 National Support Partner in this country. Through the National GPP Support Function Implementation Plan developed within GPP 2020, UNDP Croatia aims to strengthen its strategic role in promoting a sound and environmental-friendly economic development, to highlight the role GPP can play in the low carbon economy and to support 10 national public-procurers in achieving at least 2 low carbon tenders each. The GPP support activities deployed by UNDP Croatia include:
- A GPP 2020 helpdesk that offers online support to Croatian public procurers for the definition of environmental criteria and will disseminate GPP 2020 best practices;
- The development of an educational material database that will include GPP training materials developed within GPP 2020 and various European and national GPP information, uploaded on a specific NSP website. The website will also host the Croatian GPP 2020 helpdesk;
- The organization of regular GPP dissemination events. For 2014 – 2015, the events include one-day workshops within the Zagreb Energy Weeks and will facilitate the dissemination and exchange of low carbon procurement practices.
In Germany, the GPP 2020 National Support Partner is represented by the National Procurement Office (BeschA) which is also including the Competence Centre for Sustainable Procurement (SPP Competence Centre). Through the national GPP Support Function Implementation Plan developed within GPP 2020, the two organisations aim to raise the awareness among public buyers concerning GPP.
The GPP support activities deployed in Germany include:
- the extension of the central portal for the sustainable procurement for public procurers in order to host sustainable procurement best practices, sustainable procurement guides and other support material including the area of low carbon procurement,
- the development of a national help desk dedicated to sustainable public procurement, also linking the help desk of the Competence Centre to the KOINNO Helpdesk,
- the promotion of low carbon procurement and of GPP in general within the national networks in which BeschA and SPP Competence Centre are involved, such as the ICT national network and the Working Groups of the Alliance for Sustainable Procurement.
National Support Partner contact: Martin Wünnemann
Ecosistemi SRL is the GPP 2020 National Support Partner in Italy. The National GPP Support Function Implementation Plan developed within GPP 2020 has as general objectives the spreading of the implementation of low carbon procurement across the country and the enhancement of the links between relevant national and local policies and the initiatives for GPP and climate change. The GPP 2020 support activities deployed in Italy include:
- The development of a GPP 2020 Help Desk that will provide regular updates on relevant EU and national policies, will support the introduction of environmental criteria in key tenders for the promotion of low carbon procurement and will facilitate the dissemination of best practices among regional procurement agencies and metropolitan municipalities;
- The introduction of low carbon procurement in the information and exchange activities of the Italian GPP networks and working groups in which Ecosistemi is involved, such as the Local Agenda 21 Association GPP working group, GPP regional networks, the network of public authorities having adhered to the Convenant of Mayors;
- The provision of market analysis services, at the request of target authorities and for relevant sectors, which will include besides a summary of the market situation indications on the strategic approach to be adopted in terms of supplier engagement, market information, pre-commercial procurement
- Support activities will also focus on developing sectoral and thematic networks in synergy with the initiatives promoted by Forum CompraVerde-BuyGreen, in particular a “forum-lab” for the adoption of GPP by Ministries and Central Agencies and a “forum-lab” for awareness raising of Health sector on GPP issues
The forum labs are thought as a series of informative sessions (physical and virtual) that will accompany key actors in their GPP engagement process.
National Support Partner contact: Livia Mazzà and Laura Caringi
In the Netherlands, the RVO (Netherlands Enterprise Agency) is the GPP 2020 National Support Partner. The GPP National Support Function Implementation Plan has been elaborated in order to create synergies and provide support for the Sustainable Infrastructure Partnership 2014-2015 (SIP) whose programme office is represented by RVO. Specifically, the support services provided within GPP 2020 are expected to strengthen the capacity of RVO and of its partners to promote GPP among over 400 local municipalities and to attract them in the SIP. The GPP 2020 support activities include:
- The development of guidance materials (library of publications and projects, manuals and instruments) on RVO website in the areas of GPP, low carbon procurement and sustainable infrastructure for national and EU stakeholders;
- Development of a Helpdesk on http://duurzaamgww.nl that will offer support to public procurers, especially local municipalities, concerning low carbon procurement, as well as SIP’s approach and tools;
- Development of a Communityof Practice (COP) to offer practical support for the municipalities during the implementation of the sustainable infrastructure approach within their organisation and for the implementation of green tenders.
National Support Partner contact: Ronald Vermeeren
In Portugal, the National Laboratory of Energy and Geology (LNEG) represents the National GPP 2020 Support Partner. The Portuguese National GPP Support Function Implementation Plan aims to improve the awareness and capacity of public procurers on SPP and to promote a greater cooperation among public authorities on these matters. GPP 2020 complements the Building SPP project in which LNEG is involved, providing a specific focus on low carbon procurement issues. The Portuguese GPP 2020 support activities include:
- The development of information sources: low carbon procurement and SPP book and training packages, dedicated to procurers, decision makers, technical procurement staff and promoted on the Building SPP website, newsletters and via the Procura+ Portugal network;
- The extension of Procura+ Portugal Network to other national public organizations in order to increase the cooperation and exchange of best practices in the area of low carbon procurement and SPP;
- A SPP helpdesk on the GPP 2020 national webpage for answering specific questions in the area, dedicated to public procurers.
National Support Partner contact: Paula Trindade
Umanotera, the Slovenian Foundation for Sustainable Development, is the National GPP 2020 Support Partner in Slovenia. The National GPP Support Function Implementation Plan developed within GPP 2020 aims to offer support for GPP / low carbon procurement and to attain consistent implementation of the Slovene Regulation on GPP which sets mandatory environmental criteria for public procurers for 11 priority product groups / services / works. The Slovene GPP 2020 support activities include also:
- The creation of a GPP website that provides useful GPP guidance materials, good practices, relevant EU and national policies related to GPP, CO2 calculator, examples of low carbon tenders, information on ecolabels, EMS, LCC etc;
- Carrying out low carbon market analysis, in order to better inform purchasers about the best available products on the market within the IT and tyres product groups and to raise awareness of the high importance of early market engagement as a regular procurement approach;
- The development of a green tender database via the national Public Procurement Portal at the request of the Ministry of Finance, including the GPP 2020 green tenders, in order to provide information to the public purchasers and the general public about awarded GPP tenders and indirectly about low carbon procurement benefits.
National Support Partner contact: Alenka Burja
Ecoinstitut SCCL is the National GPP 2020 Support Partner in Catalonia. The general objective of the Catalan GPP Support Function Implementation Plan is to create a Catalan GPP Network and permanent support structures for GPP and to reinforce existing GPP activities and projects at regional, sub-regional and local levels. The GPP 2020 support activities include:
- The creation of the Catalan GPP Network, in the framework of the Procura+ initiative, bringing together the main GPP Catalan actors, and giving them visibility through the creation of a common platform (webpage);
- The GPP resource centre Compra Pública Sostenible, collecting the existing guidance materials and best practices developed in various EU and Catalan GPP initiatives and projects (including GPP 2020);
- The establishment of a green and energy efficient tender database, by the development and implementation of specific EEP and GPP indicators as part of the Governmental indicators framework, having as target group national and EU public authorities as well as civil society organizations.
National Support Partner contact: Bettina Schaefer